Saturday, January 19, 2013

ACN Investigates: Guns and The Wrongly Accused

What follows is an interview that was conducted recently with a young man by the name of Joel. Joel was wrongly accused in 2005 of wanting to kill a student in his high school. Despite harsh opposition Joel maintained his innocence and embarked on a civil lawsuit against the girls. It took him three years and a trial by jury to clear him of wrongdoing.

ACN: Joel what was your history like in school? Essentially was there anything that would make it easier for authorities to agree with the girls' statements?
Joel: I was no different than any kid in high school. I'd never been expelled I got  good grades and kept to my business I guess.
 ACN: What happened after the truth came out? What about the ones that accused you?
Joel: After everything was released I ultimately transferred to a new school and that's where I graduated.  As for the others I don't know what happened. I had heard they transferred to a alternative school for troubled teens and graduated.
ACN: Throughout the trial did any of your peers stand up for you? Teachers and members of the administration?
Joel: Most of the people involved testified for the defense (Joel) including my teachers and the Principal. as well as the officers.
 ACN: Describe the trial.
Joel: Basically the trial consisted of them bringing multiple friends in saying I had also threatened to kill them. It was important because they were trying to paint a picture of me doing this to multiple people.My lawyer was very good. He caught them lying multiple times and within an hour the jury had sided in my favor.  
ACN: What happened to the girls that accused you?
Joel: Nothing. Since this happened when the girls were under 18 their parents were held liable not the girls. so technically speaking nothing happened to them. their parents had to cover the damages. 
The following is a list of the documents provided as proof of the case. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment